Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Charity or Thievery?

I am a charitable person. I have a charitable family. We help our neighbors, we contribute to causes in our community. But charity crosses the line into thievery when selfish special interests use the force of government to get what they want at my expense. These people are abusing the government's power to tax and regulate, and selfish politicians are all too happy to give them access to that power.

It is charity when we give willingly. It is thievery when the decision is made for us, and our dollars forcibly removed from our wallets. We the People are supposed to have the liberty to support whatever causes we wish -- or not, based on our personal values, priorities and needs. When the government presumptively makes that decision for us, that is a liberty that we have lost. Liberty, once lost, is almost impossible to regain.

No comments :

Post a Comment

This is a moderated forum. Please try to avoid ad-hominem attacks and gratuitous profanity. Justifiable profanity may be tolerated.

I am sorry, but due to the un-manageable volume of spam comments, I have enabled the scrambled word verification. I apologize for the inconvenience.