Monday, March 26, 2012

Forget Bread and Circuses, How About Sex?

Patty Murray sent me an email about this, in which she says:
 (Washington, D.C.) – Today, U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) released a new video urging Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) to drop his pledge to continue the fight against contraception in the U.S. House of Representatives. On the same day an amendment offered by Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO) to allow employers to cut off preventive coverage for their employees was defeated in the U.S. Senate, Speaker Boehner told reporters, “I think it’s important to win this issue.” 
 I sent her this email in response:
Dear Senator Murray,
Since you contacted me, I decided to reply. Characterizing this as an attack on women’s health is ludicrous. Since when are taxpayers required to purchase contraceptives for people? I’m opposed to taxpayer-funded condoms as well. I just don’t think the enumerated powers of The Constitution authorize government to force taxpayers to pay for people's sex accessories. 
In the very unusual event that some woman needs the pill for her physical health (beyond sex), and assuming that the enumerated powers gave government the authority to provide that (they don’t), then I would have no problem with it. 
This is a very pathetic ruse to change the argument from religious freedom, and the non-existent authority of government to control health care, into divisive class warfare. But that is what you illiberals always do, isn’t it? 
Regards,
Karl Uppiano 
Which article of The Constitution gives government the authority to do that?

No comments :

Post a Comment

This is a moderated forum. Please try to avoid ad-hominem attacks and gratuitous profanity. Justifiable profanity may be tolerated.

I am sorry, but due to the un-manageable volume of spam comments, I have enabled the scrambled word verification. I apologize for the inconvenience.