Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gun Control: Come And Get It (μολὼν λαβέ)

Little did I know that this song would be so appropriate when I first heard it in 1970. I'm sure Paul McCartney didn't have gun control in mind when he wrote it, but hey, I will repurpose anything.

 

This is actually a pretty good live performance by Badfinger (I can't tell if it's lip-sync - Mike is hammering pretty hard on the drums to be faking).

μολὼν λαβέ
Okay, one of my cohorts tells me that "come and get it" isn't as provocative as "come and take it". I'll grant you that. But until we raise a generation of good classical liberal songwriters, we have to repurpose and make do. Ray Stevens is good, but he isn't exactly tearing up the airwaves these days. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

This is a moderated forum. Please try to avoid ad-hominem attacks and gratuitous profanity. Justifiable profanity may be tolerated.

I am sorry, but due to the un-manageable volume of spam comments, I have enabled the scrambled word verification. I apologize for the inconvenience.