Thursday, December 15, 2011

Public Service Announcement and Editorial Comment

This email came to me from a local technical list server that I subscribe to:
Subject: odd phone call
This scam has been going around but it's the first I've heard of it locally. Apparently they are preying upon people who aren't computer smart... they say the computer is infected and then ask for access to the computer so they can "show you the problem" and then they ask that the victim download a file. I have no idea what happens after that but you know it's not good...
As far as reporting it... this appears to be originating outside of the US, so I don't think reporting it to the FTC and/or state Attorney General (as you normally would with telephone fraud) would really be helpful... but warning friends who aren't real good with computers (and who might believe the spiel) would probably be a good idea.
Okay. Now, 'people who aren't computer smart' and 'friends who aren't real good with computers' should heed this warning. But keep in mind that legislators and even some subscribers to the tech list are 'people who aren't computer smart'. If they need a warning like this, then how susceptible do you suppose they are to being fooled by computer models as proof of a scientific hypothesis?

2 comments :

  1. Thanks, Karl. As a computer-user who is no technocrat, I need all the help I can get, and warnings are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thank you for your nice article on Rage Against the Kakistocracy.
    I like for your good writing.
    Thanks.
    Url:- http://whatcomputeris.com

    ReplyDelete

This is a moderated forum. Please try to avoid ad-hominem attacks and gratuitous profanity. Justifiable profanity may be tolerated.

I am sorry, but due to the un-manageable volume of spam comments, I have enabled the scrambled word verification. I apologize for the inconvenience.